Oh my aching back!
At one point or another, many of us have felt this way. Backache is one of the most common problems for pregnant women. Nearly half of all women have back pain at some point during pregnancy. There are three types of back pain related to pregnancy:
– Low-back pain when you stand or sit
– Pain that is worst in the back of your pelvis and deep in your buttocks
– Pain in your lower back when you are in bed at night
Back pain can be caused by:
– The strain on the back from carrying the extra weight of pregnancy
– Changes in posture to offset the extra weight of pregnancy. This shifts your center of gravity forward and puts more strain on the lower back.
– Strain on the weakened and stretched muscles in the abdomen that support the spine
Click on this link to lots of tips for lessening the normal backache that most of us face at some point during pregnancy.
Although some amount of backache is normal, severe back pain is not. It can be a warning sign of infection or complications, especially when a woman also has fever or other symptoms. Make sure to let your doc or midwife know about whatever backache you may have.