The long weekend is right around the corner and if you’re like me, you’ve been planning a gathering in the backyard for friends and family. This is the perfect time to celebrate the start of summer! Not only is my event outside in the (hopefully) sunny weather, but a couple of my friends are also pregnant. So I want to make sure I have appropriate food options that accommodate the hot weather and my guests.
Here’s my party checklist:
- Provide non-alcoholic drinks for pregnant guests and those thinking about becoming pregnant.
- Provide indoor space or shaded areas to stay cool.
- Have sunscreen available.
- Handle food safely. Wash your hands with soap before handling or serving food. Be sure to wash all fruits and vegetables before cooking or serving.
- Salads and recipes containing mayonnaise should be kept cold and out of the sun.
- Make sure your meats such as hamburgers and grilled chicken are cooked thoroughly to avoid salmonella poisoning.
- Read up on listeriosis, a kind of food poisoning that is harmful to pregnant women to ensure the food you serve is safe for all to enjoy.
Now that your menu is properly prepared, you’ll be able to comfortably enjoy time with your guests.
Questions? Email us at AskUs@marchofdimes.org