This week is National Women’s Health Week – a time to make your own health a priority. As mothers, women often put their families’ needs first. But remember, it’s difficult to take care of others if you are not feeling well yourself.
If you’re like me, work, responsibilities and obligations often get in the way of my health goals. So in honor of this week, I have scheduled a well-woman’s checkup with my health care provider. Getting that appointment on the calendar (in pen!) will enable me to keep it there regardless of the other errands I know I have to run. Even if you feel healthy now, at your well-woman’s exam you can talk to your provider about ways to stay healthy in the future.
Here are some tips to help put your health on the priority list:
- Schedule a well-women’s visit with your provider. Thanks to the Affordable Care Act, the well-woman visit is considered a preventive service and is covered by most health plans with no cost to you.
- Don’t have health insurance? Read our article for info on how to get started.
- Get active and eat well. Keep those ice cream dates to a minimum.
- Mental health is just as important as physical health. Get enough sleep and manage your stress.
- If you smoke, now is the time to quit.
Click on your age to take steps for better health. Follow #NWHW on Twitter for more tips.