Join our Twitter chat tomorrow from 12 – 1pm EST, to learn about ways to feel good and be your best self.
Use #MCHChat to join the conversation!
In the meantime, here are some ways to jump start getting to a healthier you.
The good thing about summer coming is the warm weather. There is nothing I love more than going out for a walk on my lunch break. I get my blood moving and it’s a chance to listen to an audio book, catch up with a friend or just take in the scenery. When I get back to my desk I feel refreshed and ready to tackle the next project.
Living a healthy lifestyle isn’t just about getting out and exercising though, it’s about your whole self. This includes your body and your mind. Things like getting enough sleep at night and managing your stress levels are related to your health. Even wearing your seatbelt and avoiding texting while driving will help you take steps to a healthier lifestyle.
What are a few ways you can make a big difference in your life?
- Schedule a checkup with your health care provider for a well-woman visit. If you’re thinking about getting pregnant soon, this is a perfect time to schedule a preconception visit. You’ll want to be as healthy as possible before getting pregnant.
- Keep tabs on how your mind and emotions are doing – are you stressed? sad? anxious? Your provider can help you figure out ways to manage all that life throws your way.
- Make a grocery list before you go to the store – this will help you plan meals and avoid making unhealthy impulse purchases.
- Take advantage of the nice weather! Go for a walk or bike ride.
- Are you a smoker? You can get help to quit – ask your provider for resources or call 1-800-Quit-Now.
Small steps can lead to big changes
If making healthy changes feels overwhelming, take it one item at a time. This week, call your provider and make your well-woman appointment. Next week try to add on something else, like a 10 minute walk during lunchtime.
Small changes can lead to big leaps in getting to a healthier you. Take it day by day, and week by week.