Posts Tagged ‘poison’

Poison Prevention Week

Monday, March 18th, 2013

poisonThe American Association of Poison Control Centers is observing National Poison Prevention Week, March 17 – March 23. We think it’s a great idea to help spread the word on how to keep your children safe around medicines and chemicals. Here are some really important things you should know:

  • Children younger than 6 account for about half of the calls placed to poison centers about poison exposures.
  • Keep cleaning supplies and medicines locked up and away from children!
  • When it comes to poison prevention, child-resistant is not child-proof. Layer the protection: re-seal and lock up, out of sight and reach.
  • Tell children what medicine is and why you must be the one to give it to them. Never call medicine “candy” to get them to take it.
  • Add the Poison Help line (1-800-222-1222) to all emergency contact lists and emergency kits, and make sure that babysitters and caregivers know where to find them.
  • If the unthinkable happens, it’s good to know help is just a phone call away. Program your cell phone with the Poison Help number and post it near your home phone. 1-800-222-1222.

Want to learn more? Here’s a link to some great answers to frequently asked questions.

Sugar ants are such a nuisance

Friday, August 10th, 2012

ants1The grandkids have been visiting and we’ve been eating tons of fresh fruit, especially watermelon. It is so sweet and refreshing we eat it everyday. But a couple of days ago we were in a hurry to go off to the beach and didn’t get around to thoroughly washing off the counter. Guess who moved in while we were out?

Sugar ants (that’s what we’ve always called them) are those tiny little ants that show up when something sweet and sticky is around. They’re not even as big as a grain of rice but they can travel in large groups. They’re particularly good at hiding, so when you think you’ve swept them all up, two pop out from behind a coffee cup and three others sneak out from under the mail. Grrrrrrr!

So we swabbed down the counter with one of those bleach sheets which pretty much did the job of getting rid of them. But should you find yourself in a situation where you just can’t get rid of the tiny terrors or you’re wrestling with their large cousins and feel the need to resort to using a pesticide, remember the following:
• Read the label first. Follow the directions exactly. Pay special attention to warnings, cautions and restrictions.
• Whenever you can, use non-chemical pesticides. But remember, even natural ingredients can sometimes be poisonous, always read the label.
• Use only the amount recommended. Don’t think that twice the amount will do twice the job!
• Cover all food before using a pesticide indoors.
• Keep children, their toys and pets away from the area where a pesticide is being used. Wait until the area has dried or until the label says it’s safe for them to come back.
• If you use a pest-control service, ask them for information about the risks and safety precautions for their products.
• Put the phone number of the Poison Control Center near your phone: (800) 222-1222. You really should have it there anyway.
• Store pesticides out of children’s reach. Use a locked cabinet or garden shed. Child-proof safety latches are also a good idea. You can buy them at a hardware or home-supply store.
• Never put a pesticide in a container that children might think is food or drink. For instance, a jar or bottle with a liquid pesticide might look like something to drink.
• Never place ant, roach, mice or rat bait where small children can get to them. Kids are great at pulling chairs up to counters and climbing up.
• Teach your children that pesticides are poison and that they shouldn’t touch them.

The Environmental Protection Agency has more information about how to prevent poisonings in your home at this link.